Before the 50s the plaster and lath are the most favourite way of creating walls for the buildings but now this ancient method of creating walls is no more used. But if you have a home with this kind of wall then it’s a must for you to upkeep it in a proper manner, rather than getting rid of it and use drywall for your house. This is beneficial because if you remove all the plaster walls from your house then it will cost you a fortune to do that but with plaster repairs London you can easily maintain your plaster walls for years to come.
Main Materials of Plaster
The plaster walls date back to centuries and it is used mostly in creating beautiful houses and even some of the palaces also adorn the plastered walls. It was previously one of the best choices for decorating the walls. For the plastering, the materials which are getting used are gypsum, lime and also cement. Mix these materials in proper proportion and you can create a perfect material for plastering.
How you Come to know that you Require Plaster Repair?
There are a few signs of plaster walls that can make you aware that you need to repair your walls so that it can get back its glamour and keep serving you for years to come.
- Unevenness: If you see that your walls have worn down surfaces then it can be a possible sign that you need to call the repair guys for the same.
- Sagging: If your ceiling is full of sags then also you may need repair the plaster of your ceilings.
- Cracks: Cracks and holes in the walls are the most common sign that your plaster needs repairs and thus you need to do that on an immediate basis.
How have the Plaster Repairs Done?
For plaster repairs London, the patch plastering is the most used way of doing the repair work. Apart from that, there are a few other ways which are used by the professionals depending on the need and requirements. Now let’s check out the steps of plaster repairs that is used by the professionals and also you can use it for DIY plaster repair also.
- Fix the underneath lath: First, you need to fix the lath underneath the plastered walls to make it solid and so that it can hold the new plastering coats.
- Stabilize walls edge: The area of the wall which you need repairing drill holes around the whole damaged area and put plaster adhesive in there too and wipe the excess plaster adhesive from there.
- Wet substrate: Exposed old plaster and the dry lath can soak all the water from the new plaster layer even before it gets a chance to harden. Thus spray water on the lath and old plaster areas.
- Scratch coat application: Now on the damaged area apply the plaster properly of half the thickness of the old plaster and scratch the area to remove any blobs.
- Use the second coat: After that use a second coat on the area and use a trowel to smooth the surface and match it up with the older one.
- Final coating: When these two layers get hardened, use the final layer and let smoothen it again and let it dry overnight to get a new and properly repaired plaster wall.
Thus, you have all got all the info regarding plaster repairs London.