A public hotspot is a worldwide wireless network set up for shared Internet access. The hotspot host purchases a wireless access point, connects that device to the Internet and transmits its signal within the vicinity of a public place. Anyone with a wireless card within that definite range can access the network and make use of the Internet.
Whether you are taking a much required vacation or heading home for the holidays, you shall probably want to stay connected whilst traveling from point X to point Z. Public WI-Fi access is everywhere starting from cafes to even in the welcoming skies. Mentioned below, in this article will be few tips in order to shield your online security while you are using a public Wi-Fi hotspot.
How exactly do you keep yourself safe at public hotspots?
- Beware your surroundings and ensure that no one is examining over your shoulder as to where and when you are logging into your operating system, email, IM, or other accounts.
- Never leave your laptop or handheld device unattended, not even for a second.
- Do not allow your wireless card to involuntarily join the nearest network. Instead, physically select the hotspot as and when you are connecting.
- Ensure that you are on a rightful hotspot by checking with the host in order to confirm the network name and process of connection.
- Turn off file sharing when you are using a hotspot and trying to curtail the amount of sensitive, personal data you store on your laptops or mobile devices. You can generally turn off file sharing from the network settings menu of your operating system.
- Don’t do your online banking or trade at a public hotspot. Save it for a more secure and controlled environment.
- Confine email and IM to informal communications. If you use IM or email at hotspots,never send anything that must not be made public. Consider setting up an extra web based email account for using at hotspots.
- Do not surf websites where you don’t want public or rather strangers’ interferences.
- Turn off your wireless card when you are not using it.
Out of all these safety precautions, the one of paramount importance is using the VPN. Even if you are on a password cosseted network, there is still likelihood that someone will interrupt your communications. VPN service will provide best security and it chiefly creates a network within a network just for you. This virtually private network will route all your traffic through a private connection.
Make wise and smart computing decisions and remember to always stay away from using hotspots for any type of imperative communication or operation related to transactions. Public Wi-Fi hotspots can be both friend and foe during your travels unless you are taking timely precautions. It is up to you to shelter and secure your computer, the data, and your privacy with good tools and vigilant computing habits.