Every homeowner needs to own a good set of tools for doing chores around the house. You may need to put together a piece of furniture you’ve bought from the store or tighten a leaky tap. Here are some of the essential tools that every kit should have so that you can take care of any small job around your home.
What You Should Buy
When you go shopping for tools, you may be tempted to buy a pre-assembled toolkit because they are inexpensive and contain most of the basic tools that you will need. However, those kits are inexpensive because the tools are cheaply made and they usually do not last very long. If you invest in good-quality tools, they will often last a lifetime.
Basic Hand Tools
Some of the tools you should have in your toolkit include:
- Claw Hammer – this hammer can be used for many jobs around the house, from putting a nail in the wall to hang a picture to taking apart an old piece of furniture. Select a hammer with a metal or synthetic handle so it will last longer and make sure the head isn’t too heavy. The hammer should have a balanced feel when in your hand.
- Screwdrivers – you should have both flathead and Phillips screwdrivers in your toolbox. Although Phillips screws are more common now, it is still important to have a flathead screwdriver in case you need it to tighten or replace slotted screws. Select screwdrivers with both long and short handles to give you the reach you need. In addition, select handles with a rubberised grip to help you hold onto the screwdriver and to act as an insulator if you are working around electricity.
- Adjustable Wrench – an adjustable wrench will probably be the most used tool in your kit because it can be adjusted to fit any nut or bolt. It can be used on a variety of projects, from tightening a leaky tap to changing the tyre on a bicycle.
- Socket Set – if you have a larger project around the house or you need to work on your car, a socket set is good to have in your toolkit. It will allow you to tighten several bolts or nuts quickly and it gives you leverage to help loosen one that may be stuck. Look for a set that has an extender in case your hand cannot reach into where the bolt or nut is located.
- Tape Measure – this is another tool that can be used on many different types of projects. It can be used to help measure a length of pipe or board you may need to cut or to see if a microwave will fit underneath your kitchen cabinets. A good-quality Stanley tape measure should last you several years.
These are five of the basic hand tools that every home toolkit should have so you can do almost any job around the house. If you buy good-quality tools, they may last long enough to give to your children.