Just like in any competition, there’s a winner and a loser. However, lawyers should consider their conditions if they seem to fail too often. Here are some reasons that they should consider:
- No attention to detail: These lawyers may not have an eye for good details. With proper attention to details, lawyers should be able to be methodical in their approach. If they are unable to deal with specific detail, it may be important to hire people who can assist them with detailed workload. Shortcuts may lead us to specific directions, but they may cause to skip important details and we are more probe to make serious mistakes. Instructions shouldn’t only complete, but also duly implemented. Lawyers should follow the required conditions They could spend endless efforts on things that can be completed more efficiently if they pay attention to details. Forgetting to involve amendments to rules and clauses of agreements could cause problems in the future. Lawyers should make the most of their time to ensure that all details can be handled properly.
- No objectivity: Lawyers may fail to take a step back and take an objective view of the whole matter. As a result, they fail to understand their own strengths and weaknesses in the case. Successes don’t come overnight, but by pondering over any detail with proper objectivity.
- No evaluations on weaknesses: Lawyers should control their ego, by not focusing only on their strengths, but also their major weaknesses. This should allow lawyers to hire appropriate individuals in the team to complement the lack of skill sets. It’s better to address our own weaknesses than pretending that we have the best legal team. Brainstorming and other related tasks are important to make sure that new threats and weaknesses can be addressed immediately.
- Ineffective legal team: Lawyers can’t work alone and they need a supporting team to achieve success with the case. There are only so many hours in one day and each second we have is important to nurture an effective team. It is important for lawyers to surround themselves with a highly effective team who can work well under a capable supervision.
- Poor communications with clients: Although having a good communication with client may seem like an obvious thing, many lawyers are unable to achieve that. It is important for them to be perfectly honest with their clients. It is important to be transparent with their clients and it’s important to advise clients properly the pitfalls and merits of specific legal actions. Clients should see that lawyers are passionate and motivated enough to work with the case.
There’s no class that we can attend to ensure that we can be a great lawyer, but by understanding our mistake, we can become better lawyers.